Home Field Delaware Park | Home Base Brawler's Deli
Both Buffalo Rugby Club Teams Advance to Empire Finals

Posted Sunday April 7, 2019

After first round wins at Delaware Park on Saturday, March 30th, both the Buffalo Rugby Club (BRC) men’s Division 2 and 3 squads won Empire Geographic Union (EGU) semifinal games to advance to the EGU conference championships. The event marks a historic moment for the club and the EGU, as no one club has ever advanced two teams to their respective conference final in EGU history in the same season. 

Read the whole article by Matt O'Rouke in "From the 300 Level"

Video of Gotham match

Rosters and Scoring

The D3 side battled for 80 minutes against the Gotham Knights, coming out a 20-19 winner.  Early in the game it looked like BRC would be an easy winner taking a lead of 13-0 into half time.  Jayson Coleman scored a try that Collin DeGuehery converted.  DeGuehery added two penalty kicks to give BRC 13 points.  In the second half, playing with a man advantage, Gotham scored two converted tries to move to a 14-13 lead.   However, BRC answered back with Coleman barging over for his second try that DeGuehery converted (20-14). Gotham again attacked and scored a try in the corner.  The difficult conversion was missed (20-19, BRC).    Gotham mounted a furious attack in the last minutes but BRC's defense held strong for tense win. 
The D2 side traveled to Connecticut to take on the undefeated Fairfield Yankees.  Fairfield had won their quarter final by almost 100 points and looked very strong.  However BRC was not awed as Grant Currey scored a try on the opening kick-off that Luca Wrabetz converted (7-0, BRC).  Wrabetz added a penalty kick to give BRC a 10-0 lead.  In the next few minutes, Fairfield showed why they were undefeated in the fall as they tied the match with a converted try and penalty kick.   Mike Dean got the next score for BRC as the tighthead prop rumbled to 50 meters and a try.  Wrabetz bagged the conversion to give BRC a 17-10 lead.  Wrabetz added another penalty kick (20-10, BRC).  Not to go down easily, Fairfield roared back to score a try.  The missed conversion left the score at 20-15, BRC.  Fairfield edged closer with a penalty kick (20-18, BRC) that was answered by Wrabetz's 3rd penalty kick (23-18, BRC).  As in the D3 game, Fairfield hammered at BRC but the defense held and BRC had a great victory.
Next weekend the D3 side travels to take on undefeated Long Island RFC and the D2 side is at home vs NYRC.

Return to News