Home Field Delaware Park | Home Base Brawler's Deli
Empire Quarter Final Playoff Results

Posted Monday April 16, 2018

On Saturday, the BRC D2 side took on the Village Lions D2 side in an EGU 1/4 final play-off game.  Playing into the wind, BRC started strong and pressured the Lions for nearly 20 minutes.  The Lions defense was up to the task and stopped all the attacks.  Against the run of play, the Lions scored a converted try to take a 7-0 lead at the 30 minute mark.  However, in the last 10 minutes of the half, it was all BRC as Mackenzie Doolittle and Christian Feickert scored tries that Kyle Johannssen converted giving BRC a 14-7 lead at half time.  In the second half, BRC struck first when Colton Kells took a pass from James Stewart to score the try.  Johannssen made the conversion, 21-7 BRC.  Johannssen extended the lead to 24-7 with a penalty kick and BRC looked to be on their way to a win.  However, no one told the Lions that and they battled back scoring three tries and a conversion to tie the game.  The last try was scored with no time left and the Lions' kicker made a difficult touch line conversion to tie things up.  With the score tied at 24-24, two 10 minute overtime periods were played to decide the winner.  The Lions scored and converted try in the first overtime period to take a 31-24 lead.  With minutes remaining in the second overtime period, BRC attacked and Mike Lang put Doolitttle into space and he scored the try. The conversion was just wide leaving BRC behind 31-29.  The Lions managed to recover the ball and ran out the clock for the win.  A tough loss for the club but there was no shame in the way they played.
The D3 side was on the road to face the undefeated Rochester Colonials in their D3 EGU quarter final. BRC started fast as Cory Ratka gathered a chip kick by Alfie Furmanek to score a try.  Keith Stoerr added the conversion, 7-0 BRC.  The second BRC try again involved Ratka and Furmanek as Ratka fed Furmanek who scored the try to make the score 12-0, BRC.  Stoerr added two penalty kicks to give BRC a 18-0 lead.  The Colonials finally got on the board with a try, 18-5 BRC.  Ratka grabbed his second try just before the half and the conversion by Stoerr made it 25-5, BRC.  In the second half, the Colonials came out fired up and scored three tries in 10 minutes (the last a penalty try) to close the gap to 25-22, BRC.  On the ensuing kick-off, Stoerr regained the restart and rumbled in for a try.  Two minutes later, Rick Weiss scored a try and BRC had a 35-22 lead with 20 minutes remaining.  Stoerr notched his second try that he converted to bring the score to 42-22, BRC.  The Colonials refused to back down and scored two more tries and a conversion to draw within eight points, 42-34, BRC.  With time left on the clock, BRC needed regain their composure and they did just to hang on for the win.  BRC D3 now travel to Danbury, CT to face the undefeated Madhatters in the EGU D3 semi-final.

Return to News